Robert & Linda Malseed
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Christmas 2011
Home ] Up ]


[View, Print, Save this letter as a PDF file.] [Download Adobe Reader PDF file reader.]

20 December 2011  Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Christmas greetings! We have had a very activity-filled last half of this year. Motor home trips took up parts of August, September, October, and November. Numerous rehearsals for our choir and orchestra Christmas program took much of our time the past three months. Since that activity culminated on the first weekend of December we have been busy with celebrations and other concerts. So now that Christmas is less than a week away we can relax somewhat.

Our long motor home trip of the year took us as far away as southern Maine. We had decided to attend the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) convention in Madison, Wisconsin, in August and then continue going east to Maine and heading south to Virginia before turning west toward home. Generally speaking, the trip went as planned until hurricane Irene headed up the east coast toward us. (We will get back to that later.) We left home on 28 July, spent a night at Raton, New Mexico, and then went on to Colorado Springs where we visited family. We then headed north into Wyoming and spent a couple nights at Devils Tower National Monument.

  Devils Tower National Monument, Wyoming.

We were content to hike all the way around the base of the basalt tower which rises 1,267 feet above the Belle Fourche River. We did see some people climbing the tower. Our next stop was at Rapid City, South Dakota, where we stayed on Ellsworth Air Force Base, and visited the South Dakota Air and Space Museum. In the evening we visited Robertís fifth cousin, Judy Schubert Schulte. Robert and Judyís common ancestor, George Shubert, was born about 1776.

  Robert and Judy.

On the east side of South Dakota we visited more distant cousins.

  Robert with Richard and Merideth Molseed.

We have a Safari Motor Coach, and are members of the Safari International Chapter of FMCA. The Safari chapter held a rally in Wisconsin Dells prior to the FMCA convention in Madison. We enjoyed visiting the Dells again as we had visited two years ago.
With our fellow Safari members we took the upper Dells boat tour, and also saw the water ski show on Lake Delton.

  On the Dells tour.

On our own we took the horse-drawn tour of Lost Canyon, and we also went on the Bigfoot Zipline tour. (Last year we did some zip-lining in Whistler, British Columbia.)

  Deer in Lost Canyon.

  Linda rides a zip line.

  Our Trek and car camped at Wisconsin Dells.

After a few days in the Dells, the Safari chapter formed a caravan and traveled together to Madison.

  A few of our coaches ready to caravan.

Madison is the capital of Wisconsin. From our campgrounds we could see the capitol building. It looks somewhat like our national capitol.

  Capitol building as seen from museum.

Another of Robertís distant cousins (whom we had never met before) lives in Madison. We spent a pleasant evening with Gretchen and Daniel Caballero.

  Robert, Gretchen, and Daniel.

Linda was surprised to learn that Daniel had worked with Bill Rhoads, who later became a next door neighbor to Lindaís family. Cave Of The Mounds is near Madison, so we paid a visit.

  In the Cave of The Mounds.

We also met up with friends from Kentucky who have a 1998 Safari Trek motor home.

  With Ken and Cathy at the convention.

FMCAís On-The-Road-Quilters make quilts that they donate to organizations to provide for children. Next to Linda is her quilt. Naturally, it features a giraffe.

  Linda with quilts.

Usually our Safari Chapter members met together each afternoon.

  Safari gathering before supper.

Kenosha, Wisconsin, was our next stop. We had been there in 2008 just after the Civil War Museum had opened. There is more in the museum now so we scheduled the stop. We also wanted to stop at Frankís Diner to have a ďgarbage plateĒ for lunch.

  Stopping at Frankís Diner.

Unlike our previous visit, the sun was shining so we got to see more of Kenosha.

  Old Lake Michigan light at Kenosha.

Robertís great grand uncle, James P. Malseed moved to Detroit, Michigan, over 100 years ago. Robert has cousins in the area whom we had never met so we stopped near Detroit for three nights. We also wanted to see the Henry Ford Museum. There is so much in the museum that we could not see it all in one day. It contains much more than vehicles, but here are pictures of two famous vehicles.

  John Kennedyís presidential limousine.

   Linda sitting in Rosa Parksí seat on the bus.

  In an old Ford.

We also had our air conditioning fixed at a repair shop near our campground. When we exited the interstate highway to go to the campground we saw a sign for the Yankee Air Museum, so we paid a visit. The museum is on the site where Ford built B-24 bombers during World War II.

  An F-4 at the Yankee Air Museum.

We also spent an evening with Robertís cousins - Marcia Gronos and her son, Michael.

  Robert with Marcia and Michael.

Even more distant cousins live in or near Hamilton, Ontario, so we crossed the border and drove over to the shore of Lake Ontario where we camped at Fifty Point Conservation Area.

  Lake Ontario.

  Fifty Point Conservation Area.

One evening we spent time with the Orr family. They are descendants of Robert Malseed of Ardarawer in Ireland. We only regret that Aaron Orr, Robertís correspondent of nearly 10 years, had died in 2010, but we met other family members.

  With distant Orr cousins.

Brent Malseed had contacted Robert 11 years ago. His grandfather had immigrated from Ramelton, Ireland. More recently we had heard from Marian Scott Wadhams, a descendant of Malseeds who lived near Rathmullan, Ireland. Marian moved to Canada as a young girl. We all got together for supper at Brentís home, and had a great time.

  Robert with other Canadian cousins.  (Marian and Brent on the right.)

On our east coast trip in 2008 we first met Robertís cousin, Debby, who had an old family Bible and other documents. It was then we learned that Robertís great grandfather, George Shubert Malseed, had died in Syracuse, New York, in 1909 and was buried there. Therefore our next stop was Syracuse. We stayed at Green Lakes State Park.

  Green Lakes State Park near Syracuse, NY.

We visited the cemetery and photographed their burial records. Great grandfatherís grave is not marked, but here is Robert standing at the head of it.

  Robert at grave of Harry G. DeVere.

Wait a minute!! Didnít we just say his name was George Shubert Malseed? Who is Henry (Harry) G. DeVere? Well, it is a story too long to tell in full here, but he took that alias and left the family in 1892. (He did stay in touch later. That is how we know a little about his life as Henry George DeVere.) Researching the 1900 census, we found a Henry G. DeVere married to a much younger woman named Nellie. It seemed that this Henry is the same one who was also married to Robertís great grandmother, Elizabeth Malseed, but we could not be certain. We could not obtain his death certificate while in Syracuse, but we ordered a copy. When we received the certificate, it said that the information source was Mrs Nellie Dever (sic). This seems to confirm his bigamist status. By the way, here is his death notice as published in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Death of George Shubert Malseed / Henry G. DeVere.

At the Library in Syracuse we searched through microfilms of old newspapers and found a mention of his death. The name is misspelled and the age is incorrect, but a genealogical researcher gets used to such things.

  Death of George Shubert Malseed / Henry G. DeVere.

Great grandmother Elizabeth Malseed died in 1927, and although Robertís cousin has a photo of her gravestone, we have not been able to determine the cemetery.

  County court house, Syracuse.

We left Syracuse and spent a night near Quechee Gorge in Vermont.

  Quechee Gorge, Vermont.

Our next night was spent on the coast of southern Maine. We went to see Nubble lighthouse and walk along the shore near Ogunquit.

  Robert and Nubble Lighthouse.

  The shore at Ogunquit, Maine.

We stopped next in New Hampshire to see our friend Vickie.

  Robert with Vickie and Jack.

By this time hurricane Irene was beginning its run up the east coast. We decided to cancel our visits to the Boston and Philadelphia areas, and so we spent one night camped along the Delaware River and then we drove to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

  Linda and Derry ready to cross the Delaware River.

Our niece, Stacy, was just arriving back in Pittsburgh from a visit to Albuquerque, so we picked her up at the airport and took her to her apartment. It was great having two days to see her.

  Stacy at Pitt.

She is getting her masterís degree at the University of Pittsburgh. She showed us the campus which includes this Cathedral of Learning.

  Cathedral of Learning.

With the hurricane safely passed by, we drove over to Towson, Maryland, where we stayed with Robertís cousin, Jan. As usual, we went to Friendly Farm Restaurant for a crab cake dinner.

  Linda with Jan at dinner.

Robertís cousin, Bill Malseed, also joined us there with wife, Jane, and daughter, Rachel.

  Robert and Bill Malseed.

The next stop was to see nephews. Here is Robert with Jimmy.

  Robert and nephew, Jim Abell.

Nephew John had died previously, but we met at Mariaís home with Maria and Johnís children and grandchildren. Unfortunately, Fred could not join us, but Jim was there with Dee. (She is at right in this photo.) Jim and Dee got married last month.

  With John and Mariaís family plus Jim and Dee.

We wanted to visit the Petersburg, Virginia, battlefield, so we spent the next three nights down there. (This year began the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War.) Unfortunately, hurricane damage left most of the battlefield closed, but we did see the Eastern Front Visitor Center and Battery 5.

  Linda with ďthe DictatorĒ mortar at Battery 5.

We visited City point where General Grant had his headquarters during the siege of Petersburg.

  General Grantís HQ at City Point.

We also went to the Tredegar Iron Works in Richmond. This is now a Civil War museum. During the war it was a major Confederate munitions factory.

  Tredegar Iron Works ruins.

Continuing our Civil War studies, we went back north to Washington, DC, and camped on Andrews Air Force Base for four nights. For three days we went to the National Archives and photographed Civil War pension applications for some of our ancestors (or potential ancestors).

  National Archives building.

Do not let the sunshine fool you in this photo. It was taken on our last afternoon in Washington. We had just survived four days of rain from tropical storm Lee. We also learned how many leaks we have in our motor home roof. (There was a hefty repair bill for re-sealing the roof after we got back home.) Or next stop was in Lexington, Virginia, where we took a carriage tour of the city.

  Lexington, VA, carriage tour.

Lindaís Webb ancestors lived near Lexington, but the city is more famous as being the home of Virginia Military Institute (VMI) and of Washington and Lee University. Before the Civil War, Thomas Jonathan (Stonewall) Jackson lived in Lexington and taught at VMI. He was killed by friendly fire during the war.
After the war, Robert E. Lee was president of Washington and Lee University. Both Lee and Jackson are buried in Lexington. Jacksonís grave is shown here.

  Stonewall Jackson's grave.

Our next major stop was in Belleville, Illinois. There we visited Robertís cousin, Robert Howard, and his wife, Robin. We had previously on this trip visited Robert Howardís sister, Marcia, near Detroit.

  Robert with cousin Robert Howard.

Robert is the conductor of the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra and is a composer and music teacher, and we were treated to some great music when an outstanding flute student came by for her lesson.
The Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site and World Heritage Site are nearby so Robert and Robin took us there on a very rainy day. The mounds are remains of a huge ancient Native American city. There is an outstanding museum at the site which we enjoyed visiting.

  A small part of Cahokia Mounds.

The next day we found ourselves back in the Civil War era as we camped at Springfield, Missouri, so that we could visit a newly discovered cousin who lives near there. The campground is not far from Wilsonís Creek Battlefield.

  Cannon at Wilsonís Creek.

Wilson's Creek was the first major Civil War battle fought west of the Mississippi River, and the scene of the death of Nathaniel Lyon, the first Union general killed in combat. Robertís great great granduncle, Garrett Shubert, wrote about Gen. Lyon in a letter written before the battle. Another Union general involved in the battle was Franz Sigel. Two years after the battle, Robertís great great grandfather, Andrew Malseed, became Aide-de-Camp to General Sigel for 6 months. The cousin whom we met at Springfield is a descendant of Garrett Shubert. Here is Robert with Sharon.

  Robert with cousin Sharon Nicholas.

After our visit to Wilsonís Creek, rain began again. It was so rainy the next day that we did not drive into Joplin, Missouri to see the tornado destruction. Robertís cousin, Sasha Atkins, met us in our motor home. Her home had been spared, but she now had children and grandchildren living with her who had lost their homes.
We arrived home on 19 September, and got our motor home roof resealed.

The Rocky Mountain region of FMCA held its annual rally in Farmington again this year. We went there from 10-16 October along with several other families who are members of the Chaparral Chapter of FMCA. We enjoyed several meals together

  Chaparral members gather at Ted and Joís coach.

We went to visit the Aztec Ruins National Monument one day. It has been over ten years since we had visited the ruins in the city of Aztec.

  Aztec Ruins.

  Low doors in the ruins.

The cottonwood trees along the San Juan River were turning golden.

  Trees turn gold along the San Juan.

After returning home we got a new Canon Power Shot SX40 HS digital camera and tested it out on objects near (Derry) and far (the Moon).

  Derry with a fresh haircut.

  Moon over Albuquerque.

Eight families from our local FMCA chapter met in Huachuca City Arizona in November. We stopped for a break at the Texas Canyon rest stop in Arizona

  Texas Canyon in Arizona.

While in Arizona we visited the Mammoth Kill Site at Murray Springs. This is a Clovis culture site since Clovis spear points were found there. Very close to the Murray Springs site is the old Clanton Ranch. Billy Clanton was killed in the famous gunfight at the OK Corral in the town of Tombstone a little further to the east.

  At the Murray Springs Clovis site.

Not far away is the San Pedro River riparian area and the Ramsey Canyon Preserve.

  San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area.

  Large cottonwood over the San Pedro house.

The Nature Conservancyís Ramsey Canyon Preserve is a beautiful area in the Huachuca Mountains just south of Sierra Vista We hiked up the lower canyon area, then Linda rested while Robert made the 500-foot climb up to the top of the canyon.

  Ramsey Canyon Preserve.

  Derry in our motor home Ė how to wipe your nose with hands off.

We returned to Albuquerque on 20 November and immediately began final staging rehearsals for ďThe PromiseĒ, our churchís Christmas program.

Robert and Linda continue to be treasurers of the Albuquerque section of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) and of the Chaparral chapter of FMCA, respectively. At the 15 December AIAA meeting, we met once again Harrison H. (Jack) Schmitt. This time we had our picture taken with him.

  With Harrison Schmitt.

He, of course, was the geologist who traveled to the moon on the Apollo 17 mission 39 years ago this month. Afterwards he served a term in the US Senate representing New Mexico.

Having taken requisite CCW classes and obtaining our licenses, we have been practicing to sharpen our shooting skills. Last week we also took an intense 2-day class in weapons employment and tactics. Linda likes to shoot our .45 caliber Kimber Ultra Carry II semi-automatic. Robert used our Glock 19 9mm for the class. We both look forward to getting a new Springfield Armory XD 9 3Ē sub-compact soon. We fired a rental at the range yesterday (19th).

  Muzzle blast from our Glock as Linda shoots.

Linda will be teaching a Bible study class in our churchís womenís ministry beginning 12 January. On the first weekend of this month our choir and orchestra and a large cast of characters gave five performances of our Christmas musical drama to a total of about 7,000 in attendance. The program goes well beyond ordinary Christmas presentations in that we celebrate Jesus not only as the Babe in the manger but also as teacher and miracle worker who was crucified and is our resurrected Lord. We have a DVD of the 2-hour program and would be happy to send a copy if you wish one.

We were on the road for 95 nights this year, but we are home for several months now. We will be at Lindaís brotherís home on Christmas. On Thanksgiving we got to greet a new family member. Here is Linda with grandnephew Cael Doxtator.

  Linda and Cael.

We continue to be thankful for the Lord's providing for us in all ways. We trust in Him, and pray that you will do likewise and enjoy a blessed Christmas season and New Year as well.

 Robert & Linda
 and Derry
 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Return to top of page.

Robert A. Malseed  (Webmaster)    E-Mail: