Robert & Linda Malseed
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Christmas 2006
Home ] Up ]


[View, Print, Save this letter as a PDF file.] [Download Adobe Reader PDF file reader.]

15 December 2006 Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Christmas greetings! We have been pretty busy lately preparing for Christmas and learning music for our Choir and Orchestra presentation. We also have a new family member who has taken a lot of our time, so our letter is a little later this year.

As we signed off of our July newsletter we were planning our big summer motor home trip. The Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) was having the summer convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, and we were planning to attend. Because the National Director for our local chapter was unable to go to the convention, Robert agreed to go as a temporary director to represent our Chaparral Chapter at the Governing Board meeting. This also meant our convention expenses would be covered. The trip would also include stops to visit family members and do some genealogy research. We would also visit South Carolina which Linda had not yet seen.

We also had plans to get a new puppy in the Fall since we had lost Pico in 2002 and Samantha last year. We wanted another toy poodle, so after almost a year of checking the "" web site, we contacted the breeder in Texas. She anticipated that one of her poodles, Beauty, would have a new litter in mid July which would mean we could pick up the puppy in September after our travels were over for the year.

On the fifth of July we headed east stopping at Amarillo, Texas, and at Tulsa, Oklahoma, before arriving at Linn Creek, Missouri. Linn Creek is where Robert's great-great-granduncles Garrett and Henry Shubert had lived. We wanted to photograph the graves in the old Linn Creek Cemetery and in the Lodge Cemetery. After doing that, we visited Ha Ha Tonka State Park. The park is the site of a fine old stone castle-like home. However, the home burned and was never rebuilt, but the grounds become a state park. We toured the site. Unfortunately, Linda tripped and badly sprained her ankle.
Our next destination was Robert's cousin's home in Belleville, Illinois. His cousin, Robert Howard, had just visited us in June along with his wife, Robin, and 2 grandsons. They led us out to Scott Air Force Base where medical personnel at the hospital x-rayed Linda's ankle and determined it was just sprained and not fractured. They gave her an ankle brace. That evening, Linda rested her ankle while Robert went With Robert and Robin to St. Louis to an orchestra concert at Washington University. One of the pieces on the program was written by Robert's Cousin, who is a composer and conductor of the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra.

  Robert, Linda, and Robert.

The next day we drove on and spent a night at Terra Haute, Indiana. The following day we reached our next major destination on the trip, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio. We camped on the base and spent two full days touring the National Museum of the US Air Force. Because of her sore ankle, Linda drove around the museum on an electric cart.

  Linda rides at the Air Force Museum.

At times Robert wished he could do the same. We saw many items on display that Robert used to work on, including Falcon missiles.

  GAR-4A (AIM-4G) missiles.

  GAR-1D (AIM-4A) (front) & GAR-11 (AIM-26A) missiles.

Our next stop was Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where we visited the Carnegie Science Center. An interesting exhibit there is the submarine they have docked in the river. Once again, Linda realized that submarines were not for her. This submarine, however, seemed huge in comparison to the CSS Hunley that we saw in Charleston. (See page 3.) (She was surprised to learn that one of the Hunley’s crew members was her height.)

  On the submarine at the Science Center.

After Pittsburgh, we spent 5 nights in Harrisburg, capital of Pennsylvania. We spent Monday at the National Civil War Museum. Tuesday and Thursday were spent at the State Archives doing some family research. On Wednesday we visited Robert Edward Malseed Jr. in Duncannon. He showed us around the town and we met his parents and another Malseed cousin.

  Robert Sr., Robert, and Robert Jr.

They are descendants of Charles and Margaret Malseed. We also went to the Duncannon cemetery where we found the graves of Charles and Margaret. Charles had been a Union soldier in the Civil War. Robert knows several other members of that family line.

  Charles and Margaret Malseed’s graves.

On Tuesday evening, 18 July, we drove down to near Strasburg to go to the Sight & Sound Theatres and see this year's presentation of the story of Ruth from the Bible. Our music minister had told us about the theater when he heard we were going to be in Pennsylvania. He wanted to know what the theater was like as he never had the opportunity to go. We were able to report that it is a great experience and recommend it. That evening as we were going to Strasburg, Beauty had her litter of puppies. We got an e-mail announcement and saw their photos on the web site. We put in our reservation for the red tuxedo puppy that the breeder called "Lightning". The name seemed appropriate as we had a lightning storm that night.
Our next stop was to visit Philadelphia. We stayed in an RV park just across the Delaware River in Clarksboro, New Jersey. The primary objective of our Philadelphia visit was to discover more about the Malseed family. Robert had read that some of his ancestors had been buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery, so we paid a visit. It was very productive, as it turned out that several members of James Phyfe Malseed's family were buried there. The most recent was not too long ago, and from the cemetery records Robert was able to find a fourth-cousin in Madison, Wisconsin. He spoke to Gretchen on the phone the next day. We went to see if Mount Moriah Cemetery was in any better shape than it was 3 years ago, but it was not. It is still overgrown with weeds, bushes, and trees. We also got caught in a very heavy thunderstorm that Linda had to drive through until we got back in New Jersey. (Robert was navigating with a GPS and computer map.) We went to the Pennsylvania Genealogical Society and Pennsylvania Historical Society one day. There were also two days of research at the Philadelphia City archives. We took a look at this property that Robert’s g-g-g-grandfather purchased in 1829.

  John Malseed property  848 S 2nd St.

  John Malseed property  848 S 2nd St.

Robert found more data about his family. For instance, we now know that his g-g-grandmother, Eliza Malseed, died in June 1882, five months after her mother had died. We had a great Philly Cheesesteak sandwich at Geno’s. Some of Robert’s ancestors lived just a short distance from there.

  Geno’s Steaks at Passyunk Avenue and 9th St.

When we left New Jersey, we drove down to Lewes, Delaware. Robert had recently discovered who his Grandmother's oldest sister had married and discovered that a cousin, John Lynch, lived in Lewes. When we got to the campground, we found that it was next to Coolspring Presbyterian Church where Robert's 4th great grandfather, Emmanuel Russell, had been a member. We visited Robert’s cousin, Holmes Russell, and then went to see Cousin John Lynch.

  Robert with cousin, John Lynch.

We had a nice visit and learned where more of Robert’s ancestors were buried. We learned that Robert’s grandaunt, Laura, had lived in a Sears home that is now an historic home in Lewes.

  Laura Russell Lynch’s home.

Robert had probably visited there in the 1950s. We went over to Lewes Presbyterian Church and found the graves of his 2nd and 3rd great grandparents that we had missed on our visit in 2003.

  Russell graves.

The next day we drove to an RV park at Woodbine, Maryland, just west of Baltimore. We visited Jeffrey Dunn, an old Junior High and High School friend of Robert's who we had not seen in many years.

  Jeffrey and Bonnie Dunn and Robert.

We also paid Robert's nephew, Fred Senkel, a visit in Emmitsburg and then went to see the Gettysburg battlefield a little further north.

  Linda, Fred, and Fred’s home.

We then moved over to Towson, Maryland, and camped at Robert's cousin, Jan's, home. From there we went to visit our nephew, John Abell, in Glen Burnie, and we also met with nephew, James Abell.
Our next stop was Cheatham Naval Annex Campground. It sits on a Navy base on the colonial parkway that connects Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown. We spent a day at Jamestown and at the Yorktown battlefield. Jamestown is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America.

  Palisade and old cemetery at Jamestown.

Yorktown is where Lord Cornwallis surrendered to George Washington, thus ending the Revolutionary War.

  The surrender field at Yorktown.

We spent a day touring colonial Williamsburg and the next day


  Governor’s home at Williamsburg.



The next stop on our trip was Kill Devil Hills at Kittyhawk, North Carolina. We saw where the Wright brothers made their historic flights on 17 Dec 1903.

  The white stones mark takeoff (left) and the four landing sites for the first four airplane flights.

  The white stones mark takeoff (left) and the four landing sites for the first four airplane flights.

  Beach on the outer banks of North Carolina.

We spent the night at a campsite on the beach on the outer banks near Cape Hatteras.
The North Carolina State Fairground in Raleigh was our location for the next four nights as we participated in the Safari International pre-rally. Owners of Safari motor coaches gathered there before the big FMCA convention that would be held at Lowe's Motor Speedway near Charlotte, North Carolina. We enjoyed visiting with our Safari friends and also visiting the North Carolina Museum of Natural Science in Raleigh. Caterpillar Corporation treated us to a lunch and tour of their plant near Raleigh one day. On Friday we drove down to Charlotte since we had to check in to the Governing Board parking. On Saturday we went to see Frank and Margaret Gurd at Elon.

  Robert with Margaret and Frank Gurd.

We had not seen them for several years. On Sunday we spent the day with Tom and Ann Owen. Tom had worked with Robert at Kirtland Air Force Base here in Albuquerque over 20 years ago.

  Tom, Ann, and Robert.

On Monday through Thursday we were busy at the convention going to meetings, seminars, and touring all the displays.

  At the convention.

Our next destination was Charleston, South Carolina. Linda had never been in South Carolina. Charleston is a famous Civil War site as it is where the fighting started when Fort Sumter was fired upon.

  Ft. Sumter in Charleston harbor.

It is also where a submarine first sunk an enemy ship. The submarine was the Confederate CSS H.L. Hunley. It sank the USS Housatonic outside of Charleston harbor on 17 Feb 1864 but unfortunately it also sank, losing all 8 crew members, before it would return to harbor. It had sunk twice previously in trials, losing 13 other crew members. It was found after 131 years and recovered a few years after that. We were fortunate to be able to see the Hunley where archeologists are studying it.

  A model showing how the Hunley was powered.

We also visited the graves of all the crew members who died on the Hurley. They are all buried in Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston.

  The graves in Magnolia Cemetery.

The cemetery was the only one where we have ever seen a sign saying that it was illegal to feed the alligators. We spent a second day touring around the old part of Charleston. There are many fine old homes located there. We also enjoyed watching the dolphins swimming in the harbor.

  Old Charleston home.

Old Charleston home.

Old Charleston home.

  Charleston Church Building.

  Charleston Church Building.

From Charleston we headed west. Our first stop on the run home was in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We spent a day touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

  Old mill in the park.

  Farm in the park.

We made overnight stops at Buffalo, Tennessee, and at North Little Rock, Arkansas, on our way to Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. There we visited our friends, Mike and Marylisë Rhodes.

  Mike and Marylisë with Linda.

We made an overnight stop in Blair, Oklahoma, at the home of Mitch and Becky Malseed. Several years ago, Robert had heard from the Malseeds in Australia that a boy, Marshall Malseed, had visited Australia with his father in the 1950s. Robert decided to see if he could find this person, and was successful so we stopped to see Marshall (Mitch).

  Us with Mitch, Becky, and granddaughter.

We arrived home or 29 August. Our big 8-week trip was over.

Our local (Chaparral) chapter of FMCA held a rally in Dolores, Colorado, on 6-10 September. We attended and helped out as assistant wagon masters.

  Dolores River RV park.

Our nephew, Fred Senkel and friend, Larry, visited us on October 12 & 13.

  At the Balloon Fiesta.

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta was taking place at the time, so we went out early Friday morning to see the special shapes mass ascension. Afterwards we made a drive through the Jemez Maintains with stops at Soda Dam, Valle Grande, Bandelier National Monument and finally, Santa Fe.

During our travels we had been keeping up with our puppy via e-mail and the breeder's web site.

  3 weeks.

  4 Weeks.

  5 weeks.

  6 weeks.

  7 weeks.

Finally, in mid September, he was ready for us to pick up. We took a 3-day trip by car to Breckenridge, Texas. Breckenridge is a little over 500 miles from our home. On 18 September we drove 400 miles to Snyder, Texas, where we got a motel room for 2 nights. The next day we went over to Breckenridge, picked up the puppy, and drove back to Snyder.

  Robert meets Derry in Breckenridge.

The next day we returned to Albuquerque. The puppy traveled very well in the crate we had gotten for him.

As you can see in the photos our puppy is a red tuxedo. We thought about a name, and after reading some lists of Irish dog names decided on "Rowan Mallan of Derry". ("Derry" for short.) The meaning would be "red-haired, lightning, descendant of the red-haired." His original name "Lightning" was sort of kept as a middle name. Two of his great-great-grandfathers were champion red toy Poodles. He has been growing and at 18 weeks weighed 5 pounds. He will probably be smaller than Pico was. Pico was 15 pounds.  See Derry's page on this web site for more pictures.

  Derry after his first full haircut at 19 weeks.

Our friends, Kent and Julie now live in the Mimbres valley near Silver City, New Mexico. We went to visit them on Veterans Day weekend.

  Julie, Stacy, Kent, and Derry.

Since Las Cruces is on the way, we stopped there at New Mexico State University and picked up our niece, Stacy. Derry enjoyed the trip also.

  Antiques in Silver City.

Robert presented a program on “Stars” to Linda’s brother’s 4th grade class at Petroglyph Elementary School, and also showed the students the Transit of Mercury.

  Watching Mercury cross the Sun.

As we write this we are busy rehearsing for our Christmas musical presentation with our choir and orchestra. We are also taking Derry to puppy training class each Friday.

We continue to be thankful for the Lord's providing for us in all ways. We trust in Him, and pray that you will do likewise and enjoy a blessed Christmas season and New Year as well.


Robert & Linda
and Derry

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Le Gach Deaghui i gComhair na Nollaig agus na Bliana Nua.

Frohe Weihnacht und ein glückliches neues Jahr!

Return to top of page.

Page last updated: 14 March 2007

Robert A. Malseed  (Webmaster)    E-Mail: