Robert & Linda Malseed
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Christmas 2005
Home ] Up ]


[View, Print, Save this letter as a PDF file.] [Download Adobe Reader PDF file reader.]

12 December 2005  Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Christmas greetings from Albuquerque! We hope you are having a joyous holiday season. 2005 has been a big travel year for us. In our July newsletter we described our 30-day trip to Australia that we made in March and April. We also talked about our 10-day visit to Utah and our 3-day trip to Navajo Lake here in New Mexico. In July we also mentioned that Robert had just had surgery to remove fluid in his middle ears and restore good hearing. We are happy to report that the surgery was completely successful.

Linda made a short trip to Colorado Springs with her brother for their uncle Fremont Baxterís funeral just after we published our July newsletter. Unfortunately, we returned there for her Aunt Barbaraís funeral in October.

For a long time we had wanted to make a visit to the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks. Since the Family Motor Coach Association would be holding the summer 2005 convention in Minot, North Dakota, we decided to plan the Canadian trip for this year. (In 1978, Robert had made a brief tour of the parks, and had gone up through Minot.) We had another special reason to go to Minot. Robertís Leinius cousins were planning a family reunion, and we wished to go. The reunion was scheduled for 23 July near Grand Forks, North Dakota. Since the Safari pre-rally and FMCA convention were not scheduled to take place until 10-18 August, we had time to travel around between the reunion and the Safari rally.

In the course of his family research, Robert has discovered many cousins whom he has never known of previously. Many are located in the area that we would be driving through, so we scheduled many stops to visit. These included the Leinius cousins that we mentioned above who live primarily in central North Dakota. We also wanted to visit Lindaís family in Colorado Springs and also near Edmonton, Alberta.
This is what the trip map looked like:

  Trip to Canada 2005.

The blue portion between northern Utah and Albuquerque will be explained later.

We departed home on 15 July and headed north. The next day we were with Lindaís aunt and cousins in Colorado Springs. We spent a couple days in Boulder with cousin Jim Howard.

  Robert and Jim.

We made overnight stops in North Platte and in West Omaha, Nebraska. We then spent an evening with Richard Molseed and his family in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Molseed is a spelling variation of Malseed. We both trace our ancestry back to Co. Donegal, Ireland. Our next stop was Larimore Dam, North Dakota, and the Leinius family reunion. Robertís grandaunt Martha Sichardt had married Herman Leinius and moved to North Dakota about 90 years ago. The families had lost contact until a few years ago.

  With some of the Leinius cousins.

Robertís g-g-great grandfather, Andrew Malseed, married Eliza Shubert. Eliza had brothers, Garrett and Henry, and a sister, Georgianna. Betty Gard, a descendant of Garrett, lives in Grand Forks, ND, and we went to see her after the reunion.

  Robert & Betty.

Early in his Air Force career, Robert had been a Falcon Missile system technician, and was stationed at Duluth, Minnesota from 1960-1962. We made Duluth the next stop on our trip. The Air Force installation that had been there at the airport was closed many years ago and converted primarily to a federal prison. The flight line and shops area, however, were given to the airport authority. Robertís old missile shop is still there, but now it is a sheet metal shop where parts are made for Cirrus Aviation.

  Old Duluth Missile Shop.

We spent quite a while there talking to the shop personnel, and telling them what used to happen there over 40 years ago. They let us wander all around and Robert took many photos as he reminisced. Here are two photos taken in one of the missile storage bays. See if you can tell which one was taken 44 years ago.

Robert then and now. 1961-2005.

We also toured the town of Duluth that afternoon, visiting Enger Tower, the Glensheen mansion, Park Point, and the Aerial Lift Bridge.

  Enger Tower.

  Aerial Lift Bridge from Enger Tower.

  Robert at Aerial Lift Bridge.

  Glensheen mansion.

Our next stop was Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where we visited with Greg R. Russell and Greg M. Russell, father & son. The elder Greg and Robert have the same great grandparents. Robert was delighted to see a photo of his great grandmother.
Green Bay was our next stop. We stayed at a park on the bay, and went to visit Woodlawn Cemetery. There we found the graves of Robertís g-g-g-grandaunt Margaretta Shubert Hastings and 3 generations of her descendants.

  Robert at Margaretta and Samuel Dexter Hastings' grave.

From Green Bay we drove west across Wisconsin. We passed Oshkosh as the Experimental Aircraft Association was having its annual convention. Planes were flying overhead in a constant stream. We stopped at La Crosse, WI, and camped on an island in the Mississippi River.
At LaCrosse we visited Oak Grove Cemetery. Georgianna Shubert had married Harvey Gillitt, and Harveyís sister (Phoebe) and mother (Jemima) were buried there. Robert loosely refers to Georgiannaís mother-in-law as his Aunt Jemima. Here is Robert at her grave.

  Robert at "Aunt" Jemima Gillit's grave.

We followed the Mississippi upstream to Hastings, Minnesota. This is where Georgianna and Harvey settled and were joined by her brother, Henry, and his wife after the Civil War. We were met there by Virginia Carlson and her sister Cathy Rhein. They are descendants of Henry. They took us on a tour of the town, showing us where the family used to live, and to the cemeteries where Georgianna and Henry and many of their descendants are buried.

  Robert with Cathy and Virginia.

At Henry and Georgiannaís graves.

We have previously visited the grave of Garrett in Missouri. Unfortunately we have no idea where Eliza is buried as she was not buried with Robertís g-g-grandfather who died much earlier.
An overnight stop in Forest City, Iowa, gave us the opportunity to visit with Robertís fifth cousin, Jane Nagy. She and Robert are descendants of Emmanuel Russell of Lewes, Delaware. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. After a nightís stay in Oacoma by the Missouri River, we arrived in Wall, South Dakota. We spent a day there visiting Badlands National Park, and the famous Wall Drug store.

Badlands National Park.

The bumper stickers are right. There really is a Wall Drug.

Custer, SD, in the Black Hills, was our next stop. We have visited the Black Hills several times and have enjoyed the area. We spent two days visiting Jewel Cave National Monument, Wind Cave National Park, and the Mammoth site in Hot Springs.

  Linda in Jewel Cave.

  The famous box-work formations in Wind Cave.

  Mammoth site in Hot Springs.

We then moved a short distance north to Spearfish, South Dakota. From there we explored Deadwood and Lead. It was an interesting time to visit there as the great Sturgis motorcycle rally was underway. Over 500,000 motorcycles come to the Black Hills for the annual rally. Hog Heaven!!!

  A few of the bikes in Deadwood.

In Spearfish, we visited Tim Molseed, brother of Richard whom we visited in Sioux Falls.

  Robert with Tim & Mary Molseed.

 Heading due north from Spearfish we drove up to Medora, North Dakota, and camped along the Little Missouri River for two nights. We visited the historic De Mores house and went to the famous Medora Musical in the Burning Hills Amphitheater that evening. The next day we drove through Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The former president had lived here when he was young.

  Teddy Rooseveltís cabin.

  Little Missouri River in Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Lake Sakakawea State Park was our next stop. It was the site of the convention pre-rally for the Safari International Chapter of FMCA. We had fun there meeting friends who had Safari motor coaches. We also toured the fish hatchery and met with Randy & Charmayne Leinius who live nearby. On 13 August, we formed a caravan of Safari motor coaches and traveled together to Minot.

  Part of the Safari caravan.

Over 4,000 motor homes gathered there for the convention.

  We are in a field near the top of the photo.

On Sunday we went to Minot AFB for the Northern Neighbors Day air show.

  At the Minot air show.

We toured around Minot as well by ourselves and with friends from New Mexico. We enjoyed the Heritage park and the old Norwegian church building.

  Norwegian church in Minot Heritage Park.

An inch of rain fell one night during the convention, turning some portions of our parking lot into lakes. Fortunately we were on higher ground and were able to leave on our own. Others had to be pulled out.

Driving through North Dakota we see many fields of bright yellow sunflowers.

When we left, we headed north into Saskatchewan and stopped at Moosejaw. From there we headed west to Medicine Hat, Alberta, and then north to Drumheller.

How you know that you are in Drumheller.

The exceptional Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology is located in Drumheller. The area is well known for its rich deposits of dinosaur fossils. We spent an entire day at the museum. The following day we drove through rain north to Hastings Lake about 25 miles east of Edmonton. We stayed at Kawtikh campground which is owned by Lindaís second cousin, Larry Kliewer.

  Linda with Ruth and Larry Kliewer.

A short drive took us to Edmonton the next day. We parked the motor home at Gambit Products, Ltd. and spent a couple nights at the home of the company founder, Alex Latta. Alex is not known to be a cousin, but he is a descendant of Ulster Scots who lived very close to Robertís Ulster Scot ancestors in Ireland. We met some of Alexís family, and he showed us around Edmonton. The tour included the unbelievable West Edmonton Mall. It is a huge shopping mall that also includes an amusement park, water park with beach, ice hockey rink, and a smaller water park.

  The West Edmonton Mall water park.

  Alex and Robert at the Mallís Chinatown.

Leaving the big city on 26 August, we headed west to the Rocky Mountains where we stopped for 2 nights at Jasper National Park. Then we spent 2 nights at Lake Louise and one night at Banff in Banff National Park. The mountains, lakes, waterfalls, rivers, glaciers, and wildlife were outstanding. We also drove through parts of Yoho and Kootenay National Parks.
Here is scenery we enjoyed in the parks.

Rugged mountains and Athabasca River.
Glacial rock flour gives the water its turquoise color.

Athabasca Falls. Sunwapta Falls.


  Columbia icefield in the distance.

  Glacier and lake at Mt. Edith Cavell.

  Athabasca Glacier from Icefield Center

  On the Athabasca Glacier.

  Lake Louise.

  Our galley view at Banff

  View at Banff.

  View from Banff gondola.

  Takakkaw Falls.

  Moraine Lake.


  Bear at Lake Louise.

We left the parks on 31 August and headed into British Columbia. We stopped at Canyon Hot Springs for one night and Merritt a second night. We crossed into Washington State on 2 September and camped at the home of cousin Dave & Kay Malseed in Anacortes. The next morning we took just our car and crossed back into Canada via the ferry. We went over to Victoria on Vancouver Island. We toured the beautiful harbor area of Victoria, and then we met Lorraine Rhode, a descendant of Margaret Malseed of Rathmullan, Ireland. The next day we spent at the magnificent Butchart Gardens.

  Linda in Victoria Harbor near the Empress Hotel.

  Butchart Gardens.

We then took a British Columbia ferry over to Vancouver and drove down to White Rock to visit with Nora Gibson, a Maultsaid cousin.

  Robert and Nora in White Rock, BC.

We returned to Anacortes and spent 3 days there before moving south to Issaquah. We visited Robertís newest cousin in Maple Valley. Caleb Wicker was just 4 months old. His mother, Suzanne, is a first cousin, once removed.

  Caleb in Maple Valley, WA.

Moving further south we spent a day with Suzanneís sister, Beth Araki and her family in Gresham, Oregon.

  With Beth, Les, Matthew, Josiah, and Hannah.

Our next stop was Spokane, Washington. In Spokane we met Doug Freese, a descendant of Henry Shubert.

  Robert and Doug.

  Robert in Henry's chair.

Robert got to sit in Henryís rocking chair. Thirty years ago, Robert inherited letters that Henry wrote to his sister during the Civil War. It was great to visit Henryís grave and also meet some of his descendants and sit in his chair on this trip. We then drove into Montana and spent four nights with our friends in Hamilton. Then we continued to Idaho Falls.

We left Idaho Falls, intending to reach Salt Lake City that day. (We had wanted to spend 2 days at the Family History Library before returning to Albuquerque.) However, as we were climbing the grade up to Malad Summit in southern Idaho, the engine blew in the motor home. We pulled over amid a great cloud of smoke. We were towed into Tremonton, Utah, where we left the motor home at a large truck repair facility to have the engine replaced.

  In Tremonton.

Since it would obviously take a while, we drove home in our car. The trees were turning color in the Wasatch Mountains and were beautiful.

  Trees in the Wasatch.

After several weeks, we were told the Trek was ready on 5 November. We arrived back in Tremonton on 7 November, but discovered that something was wrong with the motor home. We spent a day in Salt Lake City while they were troubleshooting. They decided that the transmission was bad, so we took the Trek over to AAMCO in Logan. They discovered that the flywheel was installed backwards and warped. They replaced it. We tried to leave Logan, but the engine gave out. The motor home was taken back to Tremonton. The engine had the wrong heads. After another week of work, we were told it was ready. We picked it up and headed home, but it was evident that it did not seem to have much power. Our MPG figures were very low, and we had trouble climbing hills. Finally, 70 miles west of Albuquerque, the engine quit and we had to be towed home on 23 November. The Trek is now at our regular maintenance shop. Our mechanic has discovered a very long list of discrepancies with the repair job. We are now preparing to ask the Utah shop to pay for repairs. (They already knew that there was one issue that had to be fixed when we got home.) The delayed return home explains the blue portion on our trip map.

We are presently trying to learn our music for the Christmas concert on Sunday, 11 December.

We continue to be thankful for the Lord's providing for us in all ways. We trust in Him, and pray that you will do likewise and enjoy a blessed Christmas season and New Year as well.


Robert & Linda

Le Gach Deaghui i gComhair na Nollaig agus na Bliana Nua.
Frohe Weihnacht und ein glŁckliches neues Jahr!

Return to top of page.

Page last updated: 14 March 2007

Robert A. Malseed  (Webmaster)    E-Mail: